Wednesday, July 30, 2008

That Darn Cat.

I confess...I make no sense whatsoever. But I tend to believe that we as a species are indeniably weird. Not everyone can admit it, but it's true. The things that we love...the things that we hate. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

For example (and you knew one was coming): I am completely and utterly disgusted by the fact that the M-I-L's cat comes into my house and hops up on my table and climbs onto my countertops. It's dirty; it's gross, and she leaves her muddy cat paw prints all over my white-washed picnic-style table. There's no telling what she's tracking all over the surface upon which I eat.

Now, that being said, I somehow think it's perfectly acceptable to let my dog lick my face (and yes, I've occasionally caught my mangy mongrel licking his...well, you know). I can recognize that both concepts are probably disgusting to a normal person, but you would think that if you're okay with one, you should be okay with the other.

Well, I'm not.

And now the M-I-L is in the UK and we are taking care of this table-hopping-counter-top-climbing cat. Now, I do love the cat...despite the fact that she makes my eyes itch and I sneeze if she gets too close...but I do love Tigerlily. I just don't love her on my kitchen table. I especially do not love her hopping up on my countertop when I am preparing my tuna sandwich. I also do not love her clawing up the new Indian carpet. Or scratching the bed post in the middle of the night.

On the other hand, I do love my dog's utter adoration of this crazy feline. And I kinda love that while she is staying with us, Moose is in complete bliss. Seriously, it's hard to get him to come to bed at night because she is sleeping on the Indian carpet, so he too wants to sleep on the Indian carpet (of course, he eventually misses the electric blanket and creeps into bed with us). And while he's usually tough to get out of bed in the morning, as soon as he hears me whispering to Tigerlily at six am, he is up-and-at-em and ready to begin his day.

Ah, animals. What would we do without them?

But no real revelations here today, I just felt the need to confess the bizarre fact that I let my dog cover me in kisses, and yet I shout at the cat for leaving paw prints on my table.

Plus, I needed an excuse to post these adorable photos. So cute. Moose is definitely in love (and I'm starting to suspect that the feelings are mutual).

PS For the unfortunate few that did not get the significance of my aptly named post - That Darn Cat was a Disney movie starring Hayley Mills, who is still one of my faves, despite how uncool that makes me. So, please, run to the video store. Run.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally got the name of your post & I love Hayley Mills!! Moose looks very handsome in his photos...tell him that if he moves to Chicago I am sure Milo would be instantly in love!! :)
Love you,
D.

Anonymous said...

Ummm...correct me if I am wrong but isnt Milo a BOY?

Anonymous said...

Yeah he is a boy...whats your point? Boy, girl, cat, dog...big deal!!

Anonymous said...

LOL!! Well, you cant replace his feline girlfriend with a boy cat that hates dogs. Im just sayin!