Sunday, September 14, 2008

Someone Else

This blog exists as undeniable proof that I take myself far too seriously. And finally, all the neurotic introspection is even starting to get on my nerves.

In the oh-so-eloquent words of Pink:
“It’s bad when you annoy yourself.
So irritating.
Don't wanna be my friend no more.
I wanna be somebody else.”

I want to be someone else for awhile. Someone cool and apathetic and confident. Or if not confident, then at least someone who hides their insecurities with snarky comments that unintentionally make other people feel like they’re not as cool. I want to make jokes about things that make other (less cool) people uncomfortable. I want to poke fun at other peoples' tastes in music and randomly drop the names of obscure bands that no one has heard of (except all the cool people, obviously).

Yes, I think – just for a little while - I’d like to be someone other than me. Someone who doesn’t lie awake at night obsessing over past interactions, wondering if she said something stupid or offensive. Someone who doesn’t care what other people think. Someone aloof and mysterious. Someone who thinks romantic comedies are lame and isn't counting down the days until the return of Grey’s Anatomy (11, by the way). Someone who would never quote Pink. And of course, someone who wouldn't contemplate their navel week after week in a public forum.

So, there will be no whiny introspection today.
Today I’m someone way too cool for all that.

5 comments:

Jessica B. Howell said...

You're hysterical, and love the post!! I know the feeling all too well...

Cathleen said...

Hey love your posts. We don't really know each other (I went to GAC a year behind you) but found your blog through someone else... And I'm living in New Zealand (with the husband and 2 year old) for a year so for the past couple months I've been relating to so much of what you're writing about living in a new country! And I think the experience brings out the introspection and insecurities! Anyways, just wanted to come out of lurking to let you know someone (kind of) relates to what you're going through!

Anonymous said...

Ribbon-
You are funny. But there is a problem with the person you say you want to be for a while...nobody really likes that person!! They make for great side-kicks on tv shows, but in real life nobody wants to invite them over for a slumber party because, well, they make everyone else feel dumb. I much prefer you exactly the way you are!! Even if you do quote Pink!! :) I love you so much! Please come home soon!
Ta a Moose,
D.

Anonymous said...

Watch it D...you are dangerously close to poking fun at her taste in music. So What...Pink's a rock star, she's got her rock moves and she dont need you tonight. Tee hee...D doesnt even get it. Oh wait, I just got snotty about music. Na Na Na Na Na Na Na
I wanna start a fight! :-)

Adrienne said...

I know just how you feel! But still I think I'd rather be a happy dork...