Thursday, September 25, 2008

Back to Basics

Last week, I mentioned my fear that one day I’d look back at all this drivel and ask “What was I thinking?”

Well, “one day” came sooner rather than later.

I mean, what am I doing? I used to be a relatively private person. In fact, I’d go as far as to say that some people, when they meet me, might even say I’m hard to get to know. I don’t share my life story with strangers (unless of course they have a “Dr.” before their name and a nice comfy couch). I’m not someone who dumps all my opinions on others. And I’m a big believer in keeping a bit of mystery in a relationship (which is why it’s so frustrating whenever I share a quirky detail or memory with Roger only to discover I’ve already told him…like ten times). So that being said, how did I end up with a blog? Why is it that here, in this bizarre public forum, I feel compelled to air my secrets, share my opinions, confess my sins…

I’ve lost my mind. Clearly, living 10,000 miles away from my friends and family has made me so lonely that I’ve taken to confiding in a computer without realizing the repercussions. And occasionally, there are some.

So, enough of the controversial. I’m way too much of a people-pleaser to be controversial. Besides, you don’t come to me for commentary on the happenings in the US, you’re here for a glimpse of South Africa, right? So, I am now renewing my commitment to the original purpose of this blog…to share my Adventures in Africa.

Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Darby said...

Really? I mean, I want to hear the Africa stuff, but I actually love reading about the other stuff too. I think a lot of people do. I enjoy reading your honest thoughts on all subjects - US affairs to the latest ipod software. And who are you kidding on being a private person unless your name is preceded by a "Dr."...give you a glass or two of wine & you will spill your guts to anyone about anything. I love that about you!! Come on, don't change on us now!!!

Jessica B. Howell said...

I am thrilled to hear more about your Adventures in Africa, but I second what Darby said...I love reading your candid thoughts, and a skilled writer is one that can take a complex subject and break it down into manageable, delightful pieces for everyone else. Hence why we loooove Friedman! Speaking of which, the new book is wonderful and is part of the reason I have not posted yet again this week.

Looking forward to ALL that you have to say and reading ALL of your stories...

Foofa said...

Just wanted to come by and say cheers to Gilmore Girls! I had to wipe a tear away as I started the last episode. What am I going to do now?

Adrienne said...

I can relate to that - blogging is a forum like no other. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with it. It is easy to lose sight of your original purpose, but I do like the personal experiences people share.

Cathleen said...

You could write about anything and we'd all still be here reading... clearly, because you do write about anything and everything, and we're all right here reading and commenting. From your biggest superfan (even though you don't watch Brett Michael's Rock of Love)...