Friday, December 19, 2008

'just now'

I’ve been thinking for awhile about how I would wrap up the ‘Adventures in Africa’ chapter of my blog. I thought I would close with a very profound and introspective post that would adequately pay tribute to all that I’ve learned and experienced during my time here in South Africa...

This is definitely not that post.

But I do have just one thing to add.

I don’t think I ever mentioned the uniquely South African phrase ‘just now,’ most commonly used in the broader phrase: “I’ll see you just now.” It confused me at first, but ‘just now’ basically means ‘later,’ however, it’s a bit more specific. Just how specific varies, depending on the context. They also use the phrase ‘now-now,’ which confused me even more. If someone says they’re doing something ‘now-now,’ it means they are doing it sooner than ‘just now’ but not right now. Are you confused yet? I’ve lived here nearly two years and I’m still not sure of the proper usage. But I’m gonna give it a try: I’m leaving now-now. As in, I’m not in the car and on the way to the airport yet, but the time is near.

I’ve spent all day scrambling around my house like a crazy person, certain I’ve got a million things left to do but not exactly sure what. Typical, huh? I think I’m pretty much ready, and yet all the scrambling is distracting me from an all-too-familiar ache in my chest. I hate goodbyes. I’ve said more than I can count in the last few days and I fear the hardest ones are still to come. Connor and Dale, Gary, Bryan and Sally. (Laurel and I cried our eyes out last night and decided against repeating the scene at the airport…she won’t be coming.)


So, I won’t say goodbye. I’ll say “See you just now,” because really, it’s not goodbye. It’s ‘see you later.’ It's 'see you just now.'

4 comments:

Jessica B. Howell said...

XOXOXOXOX! Be safe!

My heart aches for you..hang in there.

Cathleen said...

When you get sad about leaving RFC, just think about your poor international friend who is still stuck in an alternate universe! Enjoy your US Christmas and don't forget to spoil Moose!

Hayley said...

He-he, great post...and to think we all use those "sayings" all the time and we al know what we mean.

Good luck with the goodbyes!

Hey, and thanks for stopping by our little corner of the world for a while!

Anonymous said...

So when do we get to see you up here in CT.....right now? now now? just now? or when it stops snowing?

Hope the trip went well. We love you and are glad you are back!

Sir & Ma'am