Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Best of the Bush

My last trip to the bush as a South African resident was completely incredible. Hot. But incredible. Seriously, it was around 40 degrees Celsius, and while I can’t tell you exactly what that converts to in Fahrenheit, just trust me when I say…HOT. And no electricity so no air conditioning…HOT. We lived in the pool despite the fact that it felt like bathwater. And although Roger inquired about sleeping in the pool, the four of us actually slept on the screened-in porch, despite the fact that lions were spotted roaming very close to the house (which did NOT have a fence around it). It was amazing to hear the lions roaring in the dark. One night, after the boys had gone to bed, Carol and I took the truck out by ourselves to see the lions mating on the plain, just a couple minutes from the house. Have I used the word incredible yet? Because it was. And not just the lions, but the elephants too. And the spotted hyenas and their pups, a curious giraffe, a playful hippo, and thieving baboons. (Check out the picture of the monkey eating a bread roll stolen from our very closed picnic basket!). It was tons of fun. Being in the bush…being with friends…add it to the list
































Mark and Carol at the pool
Scary hyena! It came right up to the truck!!!!
Thieving monkey at the pool.














Playing Big 2.
I win. Well...sometimes I win.

You can barely see him here, but this is the home of Hip-hop Thomas (the hippo)......and there's that sky again.

There's just nothing like the African bush.

3 comments:

Hayley said...

Could not agree with you more.

Anonymous said...

Amazing Ribbon. I am totally jealous!!

Jessica B. Howell said...

I am soooo jealous!! Thanks for sharing...