Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Blogapalooza: The Curse

Isn't the blogosphere fabulous? Just when I was feeling like my social life was a bit sad, I've been invited to a party! And you're invited too. In the spirit of Halloween, travel writer Angela Knickerson of the blog Just Go! is encouraging her readers to share their scary or strange journeys at a blogapalooza party. So after you read my scary and strange tale, check out Just Go! where you can link to the other party participants. Just be sure to have nice manners and leave a comment when you read something you like. Happy Halloween! (photo courtesy of eraut on flickr)


The Curse
It was a dark and stormy night…in a far and distant land…one man wakes from his bed and bravely opens the door of his tent. But with his first step into the desert, he leaps backwards. His foot has landed in something slimy. Something squishy. Something…pink? He leans toward the mysterious item. Using the toe of his shoe, he flicks the offending object out of the path. Still unable to make out what it could be, he takes a lighter from his pocket and creeps towards it. The small flame gives just enough light to make out the mysterious blob and confirm his worst fears. It is…a raw chicken breast. There is no escaping it now. The group of travelers has fallen under the Curse of the Raw Chicken Breast.

If you’re a regular reader, you already know that my journey through India was both spectacular and strange. The cows, the Eastern toilets, the high-viz massage, the locals…but strangest of all was this Curse of the Raw Chicken Breast. It appeared outside of our tents in the middle of the night, only to be discovered by my brother-in-law in the wee hours of the morning. Overwhelmed with fear and confusion, the four of us debated what it meant for us. Why had we been singled out with this strange curse? And what ill fortune would it bring? We spent the remainder of our journey inquiring of the locals as to what it meant – to have a raw chicken breast lain at your doorstep. But of course, they feigned ignorance, pretending the question was odd. One taxi driver even laughed it off, mumbling that Americans had quite the imagination…but we weren’t fooled. They were clearly conspiring against us, but we knew we’d been cursed.

Once home, I continued to research what the mysterious chicken breast could symbolize. A google search turned up nothing, but I persevered, researching Eastern legends and folklore only to come up without answers. I became obsessed by the curse, suddenly seeing the raw chicken breast as the possible reason for everything going wrong in my life – from an unsightly zit to a traffic fine! It was at this point I realized that perhaps the very point of the curse was to drive the cursed one mad with suspicion and curiosity!

So now I put it to you, my readers. Give it to me straight…what do you know about the Curse of the Raw Chicken Breast? Use whatever means available to you (if only your imagination) but give me some answers!

14 comments:

Rosa said...

Raw chicken breasts????
Google is our answer to everything ! I'm thinking chicken Marsala...mmm

Unknown said...

I have no idea but I do think it was just meant to scare you.

Jessica B. Howell said...

OMG!! I have a chicken story, but not a chicken breast story...I haven't blogged about it because I am still trying to figure it out, and am not sure what it means either!

ICQB said...

It means beware, or there may be tandoori in your future!

Felicity said...

hmmmm. I have no suggestions, but it is definitely weird.

Angela K. Nickerson said...

Sadly, I know nothing about the Curse, but it makes a fabulous story! So glad you came to the party. Thanks for 'Paloozaing!

sruble said...

Ha! I think it was to frighten you into making chicken sounds while driving away in the middle of the night, or not. ;)

Adrienne said...

How funny! Raw chicken between the toes - there's an image that'll stick with me.

Karen Kirkpatrick said...

My guess is you conjured the breast yourself, dreaming of good ol' Southern cooking. Had you fried it and served it up with corn on the cob and okra, you'd have defeated the curse.

Kelly Polark said...

I believe it means you should grill it, top it with bacon, add some Swiss cheese, put it on a bun, and have a chicken/bacon/swiss cheese sandwich!
Or maybe they were calling you all "chickens!" Better than a scaredy cat breast at your door!
That is strange!

Julianne Douglas said...

Maybe a stray cat wanted to be friends and left a gift! I would think an animal rather than a person left it. In any case, strange!

Sara Cox Landolt said...

Strange waste of food. A dirt marinade?

Brenda said...

Isn't that how you are suppose to tenderize raw chicken breasts? Stepping on them makes them cook quicker...grin...

Jessie V said...

salmonella, for sure! YIKES!