Monday, October 20, 2008

Alison in Africa


After ten days of gallivanting around South Africa with two of my favorite people, I'm happy to report that despite my frequent whining, I still love this country. Spotting giraffe in the bushveld, tasting South African wines at the vineyards, experiencing Table Mountain, seeing where the Indian Ocean meets the Atlantic...there is much to take your breath away in South Africa.

Of course, even had we not been surrounded by incredible beauty, I have no doubt that Alison, Roger and I would have still had a blast together. The three of us could've spent all our time in Soweto playing Gin Rummy and still have had the Best Week Ever.

Now I don't want to go on and on and make you too jealous, but of course I have to share a few pictures, you know, just so you don't feel left out.

Here we are in "the bush."

























And before we get to the Cape Town pics, a quick anecdote.

So, we drove back from the game reserve on Monday afternoon, and Roger dropped Alison and I off at the African Craft Market on our way back into town. Roger told us to call him when we wanted to be picked up; he was headed back to the house for a short reprieve from all the estrogen.

Of course, while we're shopping, the power goes out. Typical. We abandon the souvenir shopping for a quick lunch at an outdoor cafe - ordering one of the few items on the menu that the kitchen can make without electricity.

"It's just like you said on your blog!" Alison says as we make our way back through the dark mall to the place where Roger will pick us up. "Robyn doesn't lie," I say, shaking my head with a smile. (Why I'm speaking in the third person I'm not sure.)

Oh, but wait...because this isn't the only time Alison will utter that sentence today.

We get back to the house to discover the Laundry Nazi has struck. Alison is amazed to discover that the M-I-L has ransacked her suitcase to liberate the dirty laundry. Now, of course she was trying to be helpful (even I can see that), but when Alison inquired if it would be acceptable for her to go upstairs and rescue a few items from the drier, I had to answer honestly. Hmmm. How did I put it? Oh yes, it was something like: "Alison, you're my BFF and I'd do anything for you...but nobody interferes with the Laundry Nazi."

"Wow," Alison said for the second time that day, "It's just like in your blog!"

See? Robyn doesn't lie.

Now, onto the Cape Town pics...




















Alison climbing up to Cape Point.















At the Simonseg wine farm.













Too much wine, perhaps?















Silliness on Table Mountain...must be something in the air up there.




























Overlooking Franschoek.

Beautiful! Gorgeous! Wish you were here...
And now you practically were.

4 comments:

Jessica B. Howell said...

Wow, it is great to see more about where you are living!! I am glad to hear you had a fantastic time, and thanks for sharing. I need to brush up on my geography, too...I'm not familiar with "Table Mountain". Glad to read you again...

Heather said...

Yay for BFFs! And might I add, you both look gorgeous!

Erin said...

Hi Robyn....it's Erin Cox. I just discovered your blog and I gotta tell you I love it. :)

Anonymous said...

So green with envy! I am glad you wonderful women had a great time, you both deserve it. I will give you a call tomorrow! Love you:)
Katie