Sunday, August 24, 2008

They’re Ba-aack.

The in-laws are back from the UK. Yes, we were given a two week reprieve from ‘looking after’ my father-in-law while he joined the M-I-L in Scotland, but now they're both back. So today the fam went out for Sunday lunch to celebrate...which is always fun of course.

Roger and I are in the back seat of my father-n-law’s car as we all set off for the restaurant (Bombay Blues, which is one of my favorites, because as my husband knows, yummy food is the best way to bribe me to go along on these occasions). We've been in the car about 3.5 seconds and already the M-I-L is screaming at Bryan for the way he's driving and how grumpy he's being and he's shouting back at her for shouting at him and the whole scene is so completely typical of them that for some reason, instead of making me furious, it only makes me wanna laugh. Suddenly, the world spins backwards and a brave sarcastic chick takes over my body and I hear myself interject at a perfectly timed lull with: "Awwww, we missed you guys!"

Roger can hardly contain his laughter, but the joke is totally lost on the M-I-L. “Well, I‘m sure you didn’t miss this,” she says, completely oblivious to my sarcasm. “He’s just completely impossible.”

Roger and I exchange a look. They’re both impossible. But this is our life. This is the life we’ve chosen. For now anyway. The choice possibly indicates the need for a straight jacket in our very near future but it’s our choice nonetheless. And we do love them. We do.

And hopefully, when the time comes, the men in white coats will let Roger and I share a padded cell.

1 comment:

Jessica B. Howell said...

LOVE that brave, sarcastic chick!!!