Monday, August 18, 2008

Gilmore-ganza

Robyn would like to apologize for the lack of new (legitimate) content on her blog this weekend. She spent all of Saturday and Sunday watching Season 2 of the Gilmore Girls on DVD, much to her husband’s feigned dismay and the boys at the video shop’s genuine amusement. But she was not to be deterred. Focused. Determined. Dedicated. She remained loyal and faithful to Lorelai and Rory for forty-eight solid hours. Now bring on Season 3…

What can I say? I heart the Gilmore Girls. I’m not sure what it is about them… Maybe it’s the mile-a-minute witty banter, the obscure pop culture references, the belittling of Mariah Carey and Glitter... Or perhaps it’s the familiar sisterly relationship between the mother-daughter duo or the constant will-they-or-won’t-they drama between Luke and Lorelai or even the oddly relatable parental set (who at times remind me of my in-laws!). Maybe it’s that the fictional town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut satisfies the small town lust I’ve harbored since I was a little girl growing up in sprawling suburbia. Or maybe it's just that I'm sick of the Olympics. I’m not exactly sure.

Is it the best show to ever grace the small screen? Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. I’m not even sure I’d go so far as to say it’s the best teeny-bopper drama ever brought to us by the WB/UPN/CW. (Let’s just say, I’m not ready to name my first born ‘Rory,’ though ‘Buffy’ and ‘Veronica’ are still in the mix.) But maybe it’s the fact that I know Gilmore Girls is my sister’s favorite television show ever, and watching it obsessively is yet another desperate attempt to shrink the distance between us. Sigh. Oddly enough, I feel like it’s working somehow.

But that can’t be the only reason I like it. Seriously, it’s a really good show! I mean, even Roger is getting in on the G.G. action. I would never publicly embarrass my husband by suggesting that he instigated the whole Gilmore-ganza Weekend, but he was definitely along for the ride. Of course, there was a very manly break taken yesterday afternoon for the Arsenal game and some Tri-Nations rugby, but once he was finished cheering for Arsenal, he was right back with me - cheering for Luke and Lorelai.

So, yes, that was my weekend...no brainpower left over for the blog. But now I'm back from Stars Hollow, for a little while anyway, and ready to face reality yet again.

I might need some coffee first though…anybody wanna meet me at Luke’s?

5 comments:

Jessica B. Howell said...

Hysterical! I heart Gilmore Girls too!!!

Anonymous said...

Me! Me!! ME!!!!! I will meet you at Luke's!!! GG is my favorite show ever & I soooooooo wish I could have participated in your Gilmore-ganza weekend!! I am even betting I could have brought J & Chris with me & they would have enjoyed that just as much as being at the lake house!! :) I love you & wish we could all live in Stars Hollow together!!
-D

Anonymous said...

Ill second the move to Star's Hollow!! Chris and I are half way done with season 3 and it does keep getting better like Darby says. Not to embarrass Chris but he likes it too...just thought Roger would feel better having another man on his side. Dave sure did know a lot about it this weekend too...Im just sayin! :-) In any case...I'll meet you at Luke's at 5:00. After that we can go and fill out an application for a job at the Inn. Then maybe grab an international grab bad dinner and watch some movies. Sound good?

Anonymous said...

I meant International grab BAG...

K Trock said...

I'm going to have to join the GG train as well! Is it horrible that I schedule my son's nap around reruns everyday?! :-)