Sunday, January 20, 2008

Inspired

Oh to be home again!

Apart from missing Roger so much my insides hurt…it’s been pretty perfect.

I’ve spent the past week hanging out with friends and family, and of course frequenting my favorite restaurants and stores. It’s been truly inspirational…as proven by the following poem:

Ode to Target

The doors swing wide as I approach;
I can almost hear angels sing.
Like a magnet the shopping cart is drawn to me,
Though I only need one thing.
I pause at women’s fashions,
But I don’t know where to start.
From Mossimo to Mizrahi…
Oh, be still my heart!
The prices are so reasonable,
The clearance rack divine.
It’s just a shame the fitting room
Only allows 6 items at a time!
I cross the aisle to accessories
Where the sunglasses are so chic,
And the purses are so pretty –
I buy one for each day of the week!
Then I stroll by the men’s department,
And I feel a bit of shame.
Should I buy something for my husband,
Other than a video game?
Perhaps a pair of pajama pants
Or mabye a funny tee.
Nah, who am I kidding…
All he wants is Guitar Hero III!
I move on to the media section –
CD’s, DVD’s, and books.
I download most of my music now,
But I still want to take a look
Because there’s something about a real CD
That makes me feel so fine –
Especially when bought in this superstore
For just $10.99!
Then I begrudgingly ask the sales clerk
To open the Xbox case.
I choose a few games for Roger
Though to me it’s such a waste.
But nothing can spoil my shopping spree
And I’ve still so much more to do –
Linens, cookware, stationary…
And that’s just through aisle 22!
I make my way to home décor,
I might want towels or sheets.
I don’t know how I’ll pack it all,
But the prices you just can’t beat.
And speaking of my suitcase,
Perhaps I need one more.
I evaluate the contents of my shopping cart
And head to the back of the store.
I find the suitcase that I want
But it comes in a set of three!
I sigh in resignation,
For this can only mean one thing.
I go back up to the front of the store
To find another shopping cart.
I now have two more cases to fill
So I better make a start.
But I don’t think I’ll have a problem,
Finding more to buy today.
For here I’ll find all I’d ever want,
At Target – no – Targét!






(I said I was inspired…I didn’t say it was good!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

V. Funny. Only because it's true! I wish I could be there to enjoy it with you....

Target is my favorite store, even though you think buying video games is a chore!

While you're over there having fun, don't forget your little one,

his name is moose, he's cute and sweet, so while in Target you should buy him a treat!!!

Love you
Me.

Anonymous said...

Ok, seriously, you are both writing "Target" poetry...you already make me sick...anonymous my butt. Wish you were here too Roger..and Moose-Juice. I love you guys- Katie

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, you are a riot (you too Roger!)! Someone should forward this to the CEO of target - Robyn you might just land your dream copywriting job!! It was so wonderful to see you this weekend! I can't wait until we are together again in India!! Woo hoo!!! I can only imagine what inspiration you will get there!! Ta a moose baby girl!
-D.

Anonymous said...

I am not going to lie, I am intrigued by the India poem from both Robyn & Roger!

I promise that from now on when I enter Target I will take a moment to pay homage to all it offers.

Love you,
J