Thursday, November 27, 2008

An African Thanksgiving, Part II

For weeks now, I've been telling myself that I wasn't going to do it. I mean, sure, it was kinda fun last year - as a novelty - but is it really worth the trouble?

Apparently, yes.

I can't even blame the M-I-L really. Sure, it was she who said "Oh, come on, Robyn, it's only as much trouble as you make it," which, to a more sensitive person, might have seemed like an accusation that every time I host an event I make it into a big fricking deal. Hmmm. But no, me being the calm, cool, and confident girl that I am, I didn't take it that way. No, I took her comments as a very thoughtful observation that it's an American holiday and it's in my patriotic nature to celebrate, so I might as well do so in a way that doesn't stress me out and yet allows me to enjoy the traditions I'm used to.

So that's what I decided to do.

And despite the fact that I still have the same number of bowls and chopping knives as I did last year (um, that being one), I think I managed to prepare a pretty impressive (and yet stress free) feast for eight. Yes, eight. Me, my beloved, his mum and dad, the brother and sister-in-law and their two adorable brats. I cooked a turkey, spinach and artichoke casserole, roasted butternut squash, seven-layer salad, and a pecan pie. And the M-I-L provided roasted potatoes. And never let it be said that I don't appreciate the M-I-L, because her roasted potatoes are a-may-zing. Seriously, it was good stuff.

And once again, I made the whole fam go around the table and announce what they were most thankful for. And we only broke into tears once. Or twice. I can't be sure...the wine might've had something to do with it.

I have to say, I think we Americans are onto something. Thanksgiving is by far the Best Holiday Ever. Think about it...yummy food without the pressure of presents... a chance to remember all that we're thankful for and to enjoy it with friends and family...what could be better than that?

So once more, here I am, across the many miles, attempting to express my thanks to all of you for your ongoing love, support, and friendship. Thank you. I am truly blessed.

Oh, and I should probably mention that tomorrow I'm off to the bush. The real bush. Yes, apparently, just as I'm about to leave this fine country, I've been invited to join the ranks of real South Africans. Because tomorrow I leave for the real bush. As in, not a five star luxury resort in the middle of the jungle type thing. As in, no electricity, no fences. As in here-are-your-malaria-tablets-but-if-you-
get-eaten-by-mosquitoes-that's-the-least-of-your-worries type bush. Yes, it's all very exciting...and here I go.

But I'll be back sometime next week.
Hopefully.

2 comments:

Hayley said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Agree with you, I think its an awesome celebration.

Enjoy the bush, I am very jealous.

Jessica B. Howell said...

Am so jealous - can't wait to hear all about it. Happy Thanksgiving to you, my friend...I am so thankful for our newfound friendship. What a feast you accomplished -- what a great memory to take/leave..