Sunday, April 8, 2007

Future Laughs

One day I’ll look back on this and laugh. That’s what I keep telling myself anyway. Roger and I love to reminisce about the two years we spent living with my mom and my grandmother. I smile whenever we recount my grandmother’s outbursts and my mom’s medicated tranquility. The four dogs, the one bathroom, the soundproofing duct tape around the doorframe – these things are humorous now. So I’m sure that one day all of this will seem funny too.

It will be funny, the M-I-L's (mother-in-law) need to wash each article of clothing the moment you take it off of your body. She might even help you strip should you think of changing clothes within a ten meter radius of her Speed Queen. With that kind of pressure, is it any wonder that my father-in-law walks around naked half the time?

Perhaps one day, I will look back at my father-in-law’s constant shouting at the television and think of it as a charming trait. Cricket, rugby, football – the athletes would surely win if they would only heed his advice. Not that he limits his commentary to sports – American Idol contestants, the heroine of Hallmark’s movie of the week, the lead CSI agent – they could all benefit if they would only listen.

I’m sure driving with my in-laws will seem humorous as well. My father-in-law, cussing at pedestrians and driving over curbs while my mother-in-law swears at him for swearing so much. You may be laughing already, but it's only because you are not in the car!

Okay, so I may not be laughing yet, but they’re lovely, really. I don’t mind my father-in-law’s grimace every time I do the cooking, or his subtle opinions on the ridiculousness of a married couple practicing birth control. It doesn’t bother me, the way my mother-in-law continuously reminds me she’s never liked sweets and that she rarely eats breakfast, or lunch either for that matter. Are these statements meant to be suggestions, or just annoying revelations? I can’t be sure, but I don’t mind. I could learn a lot from my mother-in-law – she’s a former model after all. And lucky for me, she has a remarkable way of telling you exactly what to do without being overbearing. She always quailfies her explicit instructions with, “Well, that’s how I would do it anyway.” See? She’s no dictator (though it’s a far cry from a democracy).

But as you can see, all is well in Africa. These things may not be funny just yet, but none of it bothers me. Nothing stresses me out. This is Africa Robyn. I am laid back and easy-going. I go with the flow. I also go see the pharmacist next week about renewing my prescription. I’ll be laughing in no time.

No comments: