Sunday, October 5, 2008

Geography Lesson

Alright, so I’ve been checking youtube weekly in the hopes that I could find a certain Steers commercial to share with you, but it’s hopeless. Roger says it’s because we’re just getting high-def and digital television here, so it’s not as easy to transfer stuff from television to the internet. So while I was able to find this little gem, no one has managed to post the one I was looking for. That’s why, instead of showing you this perfect example of how Americans are perceived abroad, I’m utilizing my writing skills to describe it.

Here goes:

Two red-neck looking men stand in a crowd watching a car race. They speak in really, really bad American accents. (The first time I saw it, I had to confirm with Roger that they were trying to sound American – it’s that bad.) They’re talking about the new “Biltong Burger” from Steers, a chain fast-food restaurant here in South Africa. Now, biltong is kind of like beef jerky, but seriously, so much better. I know, it sounds gross and girls aren’t supposed to like things like beef jerky, but it’s not and I do. I’m not sure how it would taste on a burger, but probably pretty good.

But I digress.

The two American rednecks go on to discuss that Steers is giving away a trip to the 2009 Indy 500. Very exciting. Then we flash to an image of a tasty biltong burger while an announcer tells you to buy the burger and win the contest (or something to that effect). We flash back to our rednecks in the crowd. And here is (the gist of) what they say:

Redneck 1: So, what’s biltong anyway?
Redneck2: I dunno.
Redneck1: And where’s South Africa?
Redneck2: I dunno…somewhere in Mexico, I think.


ARRGH!!!!

I know. It’s best just to laugh. And I would, if it wasn’t so typical of how Americans are perceived. But stereotypes exist for a reason, and I guess we’ve earned it. So, do me a favor and get out the map, will you? And I’m going to do the same. Obviously, I know where South Africa is, but I’m not exactly great with geography. I mean, I know Pakistan doesn’t border Iraq (sorry, couldn't resist!), but I could still brush up on a thing or two. We all could, and maybe then I could put together a better defense when confronted with such slanderous advertising!

On the other hand, I doubt many South Africans could pick out Illinois or Mississippi on a map, or list the capitals of all the countries of Europe (something Mrs. Burnett taught me in the sixth grade and most of which I still remember!). So, please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we as Americans deserve to be singled out in this way, but like it or not, we have been, and I'd like to do everything in my power to prove the whole stereotype wrong.

Are you with me?

2 comments:

Jessica B. Howell said...

I'm with you, sister! Love this week's blog. Love it, love it, love it.

Anonymous said...

Great blog Ribbon! I will try and help you prove the sterotype wrong! BTW - I too owe Mrs. Burnett for my knowledge of European capitals!! Ha! Miss you!!
Ta a Moose,
D.