Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Closed for Business

I knew I shouldn’t have been that angry, and yet I was fuming. Call me Scrooge or the Grinch or whatever but I was highly irritated that on the Saturday before Christmas the grocery store was closed at 5 o’clock. Silly me for thinking that at this time of year – when even people who don’t normally cook are forced into the kitchen – that the grocery stores might want to take advantage of that fact. And the whole center was closed! I wouldn’t expect the shops to accommodate customers by staying open later than normal – God forbid – but at least they might want to keep their normal hours instead of closing up early, wouldn’t you think? Think again.

Why I was surprised to find the Pic ‘n Pay closed at 5 o’clock I’m not sure. Certainly everything else in this town has recently come to a screeching halt, so why not the grocery store too? Offices, shops, restaurants…summer break isn’t just for kids in this country. Everyone takes a holiday in December. Everyone. Almost every office will be closed this coming week. No one is working! So don’t even think about trying to make a doctor’s appointment, or get your hair cut, or your car serviced, or even a prescription filled. Come back in January – when people are actually working again.

If I step back and think about it, it’s kind of nice. Yes, these stores could make more money by staying open later and asking their employees to work longer, but they don’t see it that way. These are the facts: It’s Christmas. It’s the middle of the summer. Of course they’re closing up early.

It makes me realize how very “American” I am. I just assume everyone worships the almighty dollar (or Rand) the way most Americans do. So I’m stunned that the retailers aren’t bending over backwards to get my money. I’m amazed that businesses virtually shut down for most of December. It would simply never happen in the US. But the “all work and no play” mentality that Americans are known for isn’t shared by the rest of the world. Money is not the most important thing, and despite my tantrum outside the Pic ‘n Pay, I was glad to be reminded me of that fact.

So, despite the occasional inconvenience, I’m happy to embrace the vacation mentality. In fact, to show my support, I too will be closed for business this week. So, there will be no blog this Sunday because I will be lounging by the pool in the wilds of Africa, hopefully hanging out with an elephant or two.





Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and that you’re not working too hard…

You’ll hear from me again in the New Year!

1 comment:

Katie's Mom said...

Well, here I am reading your blog on a regular basis. After all the chaos of the Christmas holidays I finally have time to leisurely kick back and read your thoughts, and YOU are closed! Where do you think you are? Africa!
Oh, yeah, you are in Africa...
Happy New Year,
Katie's Mom